Receive Credit for Royal Conservatory of Canada or Conservatory Canada music exams.
Private Music Option
Through the Private Music Option, students can meet optional supplementary graduation requirements in Grade 9, 10, 11, or 12. Please note that the Western Board of Music changed its name in 1999 to Conservatory Canada. In addition, the Board has made minor changes in the numbering system for its programs of study, as indicated below.
Guidelines (see Appendix A for Private Music Option Requirements)
- Schools offering Music 22G, 32S, 42S, Choral, Band, Strings or Guitar may also, at the school’s discretion, allow students to submit Private Music Option credits, provided the instrument studied in the private option is different from that studied in the school program.
- No prerequisite is necessary for a student who wishes to take the Private Music Option in Senior Years.
- Where separate certificates are not available, schools may allow Grade II Rudiments and Grade VIII performance (Royal Conservatory) OR Theory Grade 4 and Practical Grade 8 (Conservatory Canada) to stand for credit in the Private Music Option 12G, 22G, 32S, and 42S.
- A student may claim Private Music Option credit in any Senior Years level provided the minimum music standing for that level has been attained.
- Any student claiming Private Music Option credit should be required to present to the school principal a music certificate showing evidence of standing.
- The mark obtained in the Private Music Option should be included with those awarded in the other subjects of the grade when necessary to determine the aggregate or the average mark.
Private Music Option Requirements
|Music Instrument||RCM Examinations Level||Receive Credit for…|
|Bassoon, Oboe, Clarinet, Flute, Saxophone, French Horn, Trombone, Tuba, Euphonium, Trumpet, Percussion||Grade 2 + Basic Rudiments||Grade 9|
|Voice, Piano, Violin, Guitar, Accordion||Grade 5 Practical + Basic Rudiments||Grade 9|
|Bassoon, Oboe, Clarinet, Flute, Saxophone, French Horn, Trombone, Tuba, Euphonium, Trumpet, Percussion||Grade 4 Practical + Intermediate Rudiments||Grade 10|
|Voice, Piano, Violin, Guitar, Accordion||Grade 6 Practical + Intermediate Rudiments||Grade 10|
|Bassoon, Oboe, Clarinet, Flute, Saxophone, French Horn, Trombone, Tuba, Euphonium, Trumpet, Percussion||Grade 6 Practical + Advanced Rudiments||Grade 11|
|Voice, Piano, Violin, Guitar, Accordion, Organ, Cello||Grade 7 Practical + Advanced Rudiments||Grade 11|
|Bassoon, Oboe, Clarinet, Flute, Saxophone, French Horn, Trombone, Tuba, Euphonium, Trumpet, Percussion, Voice, Piano, Violin, Guitar, Accordion, Organ, Cello||Grade 8 Practical + Advanced Rudiments||Grade 12|
|Conservatory (Practical) Classical||Conservatory (Practical) Contemporary Idioms||Conservatory (Theory)||Receive Credit for…|
|Grade 5||Level 5||Theory 1||Grade 9|
|Grade 6||Level 6||Theory 2||Grade 10|
|Grade 7||Level 7||Theory 3||Grade 11|
|Grade 8||Level 8||Theory 4||Grade 12|